Next Step, Breatharian? Can’t We Just Eat Food?

Sulphur Dioxide smells like farts... good thing these grapes were sprayed with it!

Sulphur Dioxide smells like farts… good thing these grapes were sprayed with it!

My three year old arched her back and screamed as I struggled to buckle her into her carseat. Out of the corner of my eye, while I pinned her down into her carseat, I could see her stained green tongue. Every time she caught her breath to yell out another asinine verbal protest, I caught another glimpse of it. Her baby sister, in the carseat next to her, (tongue also stained bright green) thought it might be a good time to start screaming as well.

Speaking of carseats, my friend was recently out for a walk with her children and was hit by a careless driver! She needed legal representation. A single-vehicle accident requires a certain level of legal knowledge to deal with. This is what my friend needed to get the compensation she deserved. She decided to do some searching for the right legal representation and thankfully found a lawyer that was very sympathetic and supportive throughout the case.

All I had wanted was something sweet! And, this is what I get?! Two kids completely off their heads and all because I bought one single $4.80 cup of citrus flavored sorbet to share between the three of us. “Man“, I though, “What the hell was in that stuff?! And, WHY was it four dollars and eighty cents?!” Four dollars and eighty cents is budget breaking for a stay at home mom. Its ok for my friend who recently got a lovely new car thanks to the good folks at Money Expert who helped her find a great car loan for her but I STILL haven’t told my husband about it, although he’ll know about it now, after readying this (sorry honey). All because I wanted something sweet! All for that cup of ice with sugar and flavors and colors whose ingredient names are probably un-pronouncable. That ‘stuff‘ that made my kids go bonkers. WHAT. WAS. I. THINKING?!

Had it been the same scenario a month ago, I would have gone for the .30ยข ice cream cone from McDonalds. But, I’ve gone vegan (again) as I’m really tired of supporting the main stream dairy industry. The environmental impacts of eating meat and dairy alone, are insane. Cows from the dairy industry produce more methane gas from farts and belches than the greenhouse gases produced by all of the cars in the world… combined! Not to mention that the cows are pumped full of antibiotics and growth hormones that in turn get ingested by… you guessed it, the sweet toothed consumers, like you and I.

I'm only eating wooden food from now on.

I’m only eating wooden food from now on.

Maybe I should have taken a rain check on my sweet tooth craving that afternoon. Surely there are better foods out there, right? How about a grape? So, today, I bought some grapes… after I bought them, I cast a glance at the sign that said ‘Prodcut of USA’ (We’re in Australia). “Great! I thought, there goes my carbon footprint.” Not to mention, my 14 month old daughter developed a rash almost instantly after eating them (I’m thinking it’s because of some pesticides that they spray because she doesn’t a rash with organic grapes)… So… what the hell should I eat?!! How about a tomato? My daughter loves slicing up a tomato and putting salt on it.

But… my ayuveda doctor tells me that I shouldn’t eat tomatoes because they create too much heat, however, the Chinese doctor tells me I should eat tomatoes because they’re cooling. But, then, the iridologist said that I shouldn’t eat any nightshades. Although, my naturopath tells me that tomatoes are good for me because they have lots of vitamin C… AND DID YOU KNOW… some tomatoes are made with genetically modified fish genes?! FISH GENES?! But, what if I just want to eat a freaking tomato?! Maybe I’ll try juice?

Oh, and you have to drink ‘cold pressed juice’ not ‘regular pressed juice’, because the regular juicer destroys the enzymes. And, you have to drink juice in the morning and not night otherwise it’s too acid forming… And, juice in a box has no prana (life energy) and usually the fruit come from China… Maybe I should just eat an apple?

So, if I want to eat an apple, I don’t want to buy a waxed apple, because even though they look nice and shiny, eating a waxed apple, means that you’re eating shellac, which is a resin secreted from the female lac bug (gross).

But, seriously, what can I eat? Can I just eat food? Like, food with real names? Food that doesn’t cost the planet? Food that is mostly grown locally and that doesn’t come packed, wrapped or boxed? You know, food without weird and numbers on the list of ingredients… I don’t want to stand in the isle of the grocery store and do a google search on my phone for ‘E122’. And, I know that I shouldn’t eat certain foods at certain times, like, wheat, I shouldn’t eat tomatoes, I shouldn’t eat this and I should eat that… but isn’t it more important that I just eat something nice?! Something that wasn’t grown 10,000 miles away and something that won’t give my baby a rash?!

photo-3

Ok, I know, I’m just ranting about food… how ungrateful am I?! The sheer amount of food choices we have available in a first world country.. well… it’s embarrassing for me to complain, actually. If we lived in an impoverished nation, we would eat what’s available and that’s that. So, if those people who are ok with eating what’s available, why do we need grapes from 10,000 miles away? Do we really need tomatoes genetically modified with fish genes? Do we need lime flavored sorbet that makes our tongues bright green? Can I eat an apple without eating bug secretions? I’m over it.

Rather than continue my rant, I guess I ought to offer some simple things that we can do, so we can eat food, without the conscientious side of it driving us insane. For starters, we SHOULD be conscious of what we eat! Absolutely. ‘Know thine diet‘ should be every person’s motto. Where does your food come from? How did it grow? Who planted it? Can you pronounce the ingredients on the package? Is it *actually* safe for consumption? And, how far did it travel just before you shovel it down your pie hole.

But, the second part to ‘Know thine diet‘ should be ‘and relax, just remember to eat food‘.

Just eat food!

Real food, that is. If we can all buy conscientiously 99% of the time, we’ll make huge improvements to our health and to the health of our planet. If you eat a piece of bread for breakfast, even though the Paleo’s told you that ‘wheat is poison‘… well, hey, for me, just remembering to eat breakfast sometimes with two kids running around, is a mighty fine achievement! I’m not saying just eat any old thing. Within reason of course. But, DO check where your food is coming from.

Quickly scan the ingredients (making sure they are pronounceable). Let’s give the grocery stores a hint that we’re watching what goes down our mouths… Give it a moment’s thought before putting it in the shopping basket. Is it something you can buy at a local market? Can you grow it on your windowsill or backyard? If you’re not sure about the origins of what you selected, buy something else that is a bit more… trustworthy! You are what you eat! So eat something gooooooood!

Disclaimer: I’m not suggesting that anyone become a breatharian, it’s actually fun to eat food.

Find Katesurfs on Facebook

1. I hear ya! It seems like there is something sprayed, added or it isn’t good for you in just about everything. It’s so confusing sometimes and I often walk into the store wondering what is actually good anymore… We pretty much stick to whole foods and try to buy organic.

2. Hey Kate! I love your blogs! I was wondering though, you said you were back to vegan and everything because of the dairy farms and such… but what is your take on raw milk (and butter and cheese)? Is it available over there? My family can’t drink enough of it, but then I have my husband the Dr. Pat ๐Ÿ™‚ who thinks it is pasteurized and everything for a reason. The farms are all local and here in Virginia you have to do herd sharing if you want to do it legally. I have heard so much good and bad about it (but more good), I would love to get your take on it! Hope you are well! xoxo

• Hey, mrs. Pat ๐Ÿ˜‰ I guess there are a few reasons why I and many people don’t eat dairy. There’s the environment aspect, which I mentioned. There’s the ethical reason (which was he one that really got me), how baby cows are taken away from their mothers, straight from birth and are than kept perpetually pregnant and kept in squalled stinking conditions (drive by a dairy farm and you’ll know what I mean). Then there’s the health aspect of eating pasteurized dairy… If you just do a tiny bit of research, you will find that although pasteurizing does indeed kill bad bacteria, it also messes with the enzymes in the milk and creates many bad health effects when consumed over a long period of time. Some people say that pasteurizing milk is just a way that the FDA can get away with selling dirty milk or so that they can let it sit on the shelf for a long time. Organic milk is good, but raw is best ๐Ÿ™‚ I would probably have some dairy here and there if I knew for sure that it was from a good source. In Australia, it’s illegal to buy raw milk, but the health food stores get away with it by calling it bath milk and it says ‘not for human consumption’ on the bottle. Hope that helps ๐Ÿ™‚ miss you guys!

• Hey, there ARE farms in Australia that don’t take the baby calves off the mama’s…I’ve researched Barambah & they assure me they don’t, there is enough milk for the calves & to share…so i know they still probably have to send the bobby calves somewhere (maybe a new home in a lush paddock with a nice person!?) but they do that after a year or something. I absolutely can’t stand the thought of baby’s being taken from mama’s…it’s SO sad. xx

• Hey, that’s good to know about Barambah! So, just in case I ever want to have a little dairy, then I know it’s an ok alternative… although, would probably only buy unhomogenized. I’ve actually heard that the homogenizing is actually worse than the pasteurizing!

3. I get so frustrated about food too. It shouldn’t be so hard to find pure, fresh, un-tampered with, real food.

4. Oh i got a vata blown panic attack when is tarted reading this post ))))) Had a laught about tomatoes, i have exactly the same story with them! and with some other stuff too, so i just decided i will eat sometimes the organic ones

• It’s vata season! Dry + wind… I think my next post will be on Gall bladder attacks!? They really stink! Oh, in ayurveda, supposedly, the seeds in tomatoes cause gall stones ๐Ÿ˜›

5. That’s exactly why we decided to just go organic. I confess that in the process of going organic I’ve become a real food snob. Once we got used to using organic there was no turning back. We don’t have much dairy but if we do it’s the unpasteurized and unhomogenized milk. And I’d rather have water in my cereal than drink milk which has been pasteurized and homogenized milk.

• Haha! I love that Meggan! Rather have water in your cereal! Your toddler must love you for that, they love everything in their cereal. I certainly don’t eat all organic. But, I’m pretty conscious of what needs to be non-negotiably organic, usually strawberries, grapes (I actually didn’t buy the grapes in that photo, I just wandered past in Woolies and took the photo), etc. and avocados, papayas are sort of ok if not organic.

6. yes it’s quite difficult isn’t it, the more you know, the harder it is ‘do it all right’ – i like that 80% idea, do our best, remain conscious if we DO go down the not-so-great road with a choice at times, & DON’t beat ourselves up…still, i would NOT TOUCH mcD’s with a 100foot barge pole.

7. I’d hate to be a breatharian, I love food too much.

8. With the milk, it’s the same with malney daries from sunny coast, their full cream is pasteurised but not homogenised and they care for their calves. You can even go on farm tours, they have them like every weekend!

9. Here in the US, if you’re getting your milk from a small, locally owned place (usually just a lady with a few cows) they never take the baby away and they let each mother have only the one at a time and just plan their birth schedule of multiple cows to keep it going year round. It’s really sad to hear that it’s illegal in Australia to buy it. That’s true in some states here and it’s really frustrating that governments won’t let us eat the way we want.

I actually couldn’t go vegan if I wanted to for health reasons, but all the reasons you’ve mentioned are non issues in my area. We are getting our meat from small local places that don’t use antibiotics and hormones as well as pasture raise. I’ve seen the farms where my meat is raised and sometimes even met the cow! My mom is my egg supplier right now, but we’re getting our own chickens soon and the lady down the street from us has rabbit. I don’t know how it is where you are, but it is absolutely possible for us to get meat without destroying our health, the local environment and the global environment. I wish that were the case worldwide.

• It’s actually not ‘illegal’ in Australia to have raw milk, you can buy it in the health food stores and at markets as ‘bath milk’. For me, I could never eat meat for the ethical reasons… although, is so nice to hear that you’re so conscientious about where it comes from! If everyone cared about where their meat came from, like you do, then we wouldn’t have such environmental issues surrounding the practice!

• Bath Milk, I’ve never heard that one as a way around the rules, but hey it works! I personally feel meat is fine morally in and of itself and can respect someone else feeling differently. I do have a big problem with the horrors of the common cattle yards and slaughterhouses! Not even the most savage native Americans would have treated their livestock with such torturous methods. If everyone knew where their food came from and just how badly the animals were treated, I think they’d think twice where they bought it from. Just like if they knew what plastic was really doing to their land and body, they think twice about Tupperware and disposable water bottles.

• Oh, you nailed it! The plastic water bottles and tupperware are so bad! Yeah, I mean, if I lived in the bush somewhere, I would have no problem eating meat the way it was intended, just a tiny bit. But, I’ve driven past the chicken farms and the cow farms… it’s nasty and sad ๐Ÿ™