Please Take a Moment to Openly Brag About Your Husband

photo-3

All that was on my mind tonight, was giving the kids a tub, brushing their teeth and putting them to bed. But, my husband, had better plans and yelled out, “Let’s go watch the circus!!” My husband is 18 years older than me, and has more energy and enthusiasm than a teenager… True story.

*Cringe* I didn’t want to go… it was late, the kids were tired, and we had already been to the circus TWO TIMES during the weekend! But, this was no ordinary circus, you see. It was an awesomely entertaining acrobatic circus, it was free and it was 5 minutes from our house. Before I even had a chance to voice my opinions about bedtime, the kids yelled out “YAY!!! Let’s GO!!!” We decided that I would stay home. They would have more fun without me, I would have just been grumpy. So, I stayed home, did the dishes, washed the floor and enjoyed an hour or so of peace and quiet. Yes, I said “enjoyed“… tell me you don’t know the feeling of sitting in your very own clean house, even if it only lasts for a few minutes, before total destruction happens (again).

As I was sitting there, enjoying my peace and quiet, I *nearly* posted a comment on Facebook, saying something about how awesomely energetic my husband is when… I thought twice. I better not. Don’t want to offend anyone… Wait what?!?!

I face-brag about everything else! So, why did I hesitate to say something about how awesome my husband is for taking his kids out to have a fun time?

Yes, I know there are plenty of deadbeat dads and husbands out there. And, the internet is FULL of rants against them. But, for every deadbeat guy, I have to believe that there are dozens of awesome ones out there. But how come we rarely hear about them? Guys who won’t complain about a messy house. Guys that mischievously wind the kids up before bed at the risk of getting yelled at by their wives (they just want to have fun!). Ones that tell you it doesn’t matter if you hair hasn’t been brushed or your legs haven’t been shaved or that your shirt is too wrinkly (true story). And, guys that go out shopping with their daughters and magically come home with matching purple tutus (another true story). I know that my husband is not the only one… right?

Words have power and intention behind them. Really! So, which way do we want our energy to flow? I know it’s fun to bitch and moan. And, sometimes women complain about the man in their lives because they are sincerely looking for support and help. Sometimes, there truly is an issue, and that should not be overlooked. But, too often, we find it so easy to complain about small things. Can’t we also say positive things when our husbands do something awesome? Can we *openly* say that our husbands are the best, without feeling bad for bragging?

So, I want to hear it. I want to hear more good things about husbands or partners. If I was holding back from saying something nice about my husband, then I know other people are doing the same! Please, for your husband’s sake and for your own, don’t by shy! Let everyone know how awesome they are! Even if they’re not awesome all the time… surely they have something positive going on? And, if you keep saying they’re awesome, who knows, maybe one day, they really will be awesome 😉

1. I couldn’t agree more Kate. My partner (14 years my senior) is inspirational in his enthusiasm for life, wisdom and experience. Conversations together over a cuppa are one of my favourite things to do.

• Love the old guys for their experience factor! Ah, uninterrupted conversations are rare these days, but we still get a few words here and there!

2. Yeah, I’ve got one of those! He’s always encouraging and helpful when I’m falling apart, he somehow makes me feel attractive still even when I haven’t washed my hair in three days and my clothes are covered in baby/toddler food and I feel so tired my eyes must be about to fall out of my face, and he’s just great to hang out with too! Yay for great hubbies/partners! 🙂

3. Wow, I love this post !!! And yes, I agree, lets praise our husbands and tell that they are the best )) (It doesn’t sound like bragging really, while I was reading your post I was somehow feeling proud that your husband is so cool 🙂 I’ll brag about my husband now )) You know, when we were in Russia, David went and bought flowers for my mom and my granny, and then he said – I want to buy a nice bunch of flowers and give it to some random elderly lady on the streets. So he bought a bunch and we walked down the street, then we noticed an elderly lady sitting on the bench, she looked a tiny bit sad, we approach her and gave her the flowers, and I explained to her in Russian that it’s for her, she was surprised and then she started thanking us and telling us her story – how she and her husband lived together for a very long time, and they really loved each other, now her husband is not there anymore, he died, but she likes coming to this place and remembering how they used to sit here together. And then she blessed us and said that many times we see negative qualities in our partners and that;s what ruins relationships, but we should focus on our love instead :)))) PS I just read a couple of days ago that it’s a nice practice to write down your husbands positive qualities, (initially the idea was write down two pages with positive and negative qualities, that chuck out or burn the paper with negative and with the positive one -you can look at it from time to time and fill it in with new qualities: ))

4. Awesome post! My “husband” is currently playing the guitar in our dimly lit home and I just love it. Before Harlan went to bed he let him play in the computer area and for the longest time was letting him pick the strings and show him how to pick the strings on his beloved guitar. Gave me a super fuzzy feeling!

• Awwww… yes… I get that fuzzy feeling too 😉 today, Margo says, “Look, dad, I took a photo (with my phone) and loaded it to my blog!” Guess who started her a blog and taught her how to use it!?

5. Love this Amazing Reminder Kate to BRAG about the best in our lives, the one person we choose to spend the most time and life experience with, our partners. From the first night we met, because I didn’t have my glasses on ( too vain) and thought he was someone else, we’ve been inseparable. We work and live together full time and have for 34 years. Like your awesome husband mine too has a ton of energy and is quick to prompt me to step away from work and go enjoy the day. It’s a million little things like how he folds the laundry, that he refill my empty glass of water or the emotional support after a tough phone call with my Mom that demonstrate his love of me everyday. People ask how we can stand to be with each other so much, and I question how they can be away from their most favorite person so much. Kudos also to you for recognizing you were to tired and opting to stay home. No quilt for anyone, and everyone enjoyed themselves. Recognizing our limits so we can remain positive with our loved ones is a strategy to embrace. Cherish the ones we love everyday. Sending all our love to your family and those of your readers. Positivity is a seed, plant it and watch it grow. Keep it up Kate.

• Wow, there are too many similarities, Suzanne! It must be genetic! Art has this freakish ability to fold laundry perfect (I just chuck it in the drawers). Yes, it is important to recognize when we’re too tired… a big thing for me to say that I’ve had enough!

6. Yes! Hurray for amazing partners! Mine has insisted on cooking every dinner for the last ten years… that is enough to make anyone swoon, I think! And that is only one amazing quality out of so many he has. Thank goodness for loving and wonderful soulmates!

7. Love this post! Thank you for making me think positively about someone who truly matters to not only me, but who is a true blessing to me too! Have fun with your hubby & enjoy those moments alone when he happily takes them for a whirl!

8. YES!! Can this be a campaign? The brag about your husband campaign? We need a hashtag.

9. My husband says ten wonderful words to me almost on a daily basis…’What can I do to make your life easier today?’ Doesn’t matter if it’s the first time hearing it or the 1,000th time, it’s a breath of fresh air and just what I need to hear sometimes. He knows I don’t ask for help often enough, so he just flat out asks. He’s a great husband and an awesome daddy!

10. love your blog! husbands and men in general are definitely not praised enough these days 😉 so I’ll go too! I’m 23 weeks pregnant and have had all day nausea this whole time, my husband grocery shops (a lot of times on his way home after working all day) cooks dinner some nights, does ALL the dishes and helps out with laundry (he’s not allowed to sort!) and still finds time to play with our daughter and work out and have time for me, my family and his family! he works from home on days that I’m extra sick and takes care of our daughter while working so I can recover, he’s very understanding when I say I’m too sick to do anything and feels sorry for me! I always say I feel sorry for him bc he had to take care of me and has to hear me whine 🙂 he’s an awesome hubby even when I’m not sick and pregnant, but he’s definitely stepped up his game! I’m very very blessed and oh so grateful for him!

11. My Husband does not complain. And I’ve given him ample opportunity. He’s been driving me around for 10 years, and I’m only just now getting my drivers licence.

12. Kate, I love your blog! You are far more inspiring than any others I have come across! You have given me a fantastic idea to brag about my husband and I plan on getting my 2.5yr old in on the action tomorrow with some of his famous painting! I often feel as though I shouldn’t brag on Facebook about him as I have a lot of single mum friends but I always always never ever write a demeaning or negative post about him. He is perfect in my eyes. Great dads need to be recognised <3

• Oh wow *blush* thank you! So glad you enjoy! I tend to think my blog is pretty cool too and I love sharing my stories! I’m sure your husband will be loving it!

13. Lets now do a blog about bragging on our wives.
    Mine sacrifices for the family and works too. Sometimes, we are so busy writing articles that tell wives to brag on their husbands, that we forget to write articles telling husbands to brag on their wives. Many times, it’s actually the wives who make all the sacrifices. Lets be fair people.