The Most Boring Breastfeeding Story That You Should Definitely Read

photo-7

For every triumphant breastfeeding story out there, I’m sorry to say, this is not one of them. For every woman that has gone above, over and beyond the reasonable call of duty to breastfeed,Β I’m not one of them. Although my story is not one of the exciting ones, I still think it’s important for me to share the very ordinary happenings on my breastfeeding journey, thus far.

For me, there were no tremendous hurdles that I jumped in those early days of breastfeeding. I had a single, full term baby, with no lip or tongue ties. My milk came in no problems. I was tender and sore for a bit, but nothing earth shattering. There was no pumping everyday to get my supply up. Later down the track, there was no pumping to try and feed a young baby while I was at work. (I went back to work when my kids were older and by then, I didn’t have to pump). There was nobody telling me I should go breastfeed my baby in the toilets… I fed my babies wherever I damn well pleased. I’ve had full support from my family, friends and husband. There was nobody hard on my case telling me that I should wean. I’ll remind you again, it’s really the most uninteresting breastfeeding story out there… and, just for that reason, I think it’s important to share.

My older daughter just turned four years old the other day (and the little one is 19 months). Four years is one thousand, four hundred and sixty days. Besides the one day when she was about 2 years old and we just plain forgot, it’s been every day since she was born, of hauling the old girls out for breastfeeding. The one day we did forgot was when I was about 7 months pregnant with her little sister and I had worked all day. She fell asleep that evening without even asking. I thought maybe it was the first signs of weaning but, oh, was I wrong! Once my milk came in after after the birth of her little sister, it was game on, all over again.

I never set out to accomplish any tremendous breastfeeding goal. I never planned to breastfeed for X amount of months or years. I just took it one day at a time. One day at a time. One day at a time.

There was one little rough patch, when my older one was about 2 1/2 years old and her little sister was about 2 months old. I was feeling some pretty strong toddler nursing aversions (it’s very common to feel this way, I wrote a post on it) , and I was sort of over it with her. But, rather than wean her because she was annoying me, I just decided to limit our sessions to a few times a day, and it solved the problem within a few months. I still get the annoying aversion on occasion… It’s this toe curling, blood boiling feeling, and when I do, I just tell her, “Sorry, we’ll have to do it again later.” Sometimes we even skip a day or two, and it’s really no dramas.

I certainly don’t go bragging to anyone that I’ve been breastfeeding for four years… because it’s not really an ‘accomplishment‘ in my mind. It’s just the way things have happened for us. I’m not doing it for selfish reasons and I’m not a martyr… it’s just the way it is.

People have such strange ideas about how long the ‘appropriate‘ durations of a breastfeeding career should be. Breastfeed for too short (or not at all) and you’ve got people criticizing you… breastfeed for too long (ahem, four years?!) and again, people start thinking you’re bonkers. Breastfeeding two kids of different ages, like I’m doing and…oh boy, I’m a lunatic, right?!

Well, stuff ’em all. This is just my my ordinary breastfeeding story.

Sometimes, breastfeeding is just a non-event.Β Although we often hear about the struggles (and I’m not trying to take away from those stories because there are some real tear jerkers out there), it’s not ALWAYS a difficult journey. Luckily, I’m surrounded with people who support me. I never have to defend my decisions.

So, when will she wean, I’m sure there must be a FEW people out there who wonder that… Geez, I don’t know, but I do know that she won’t be going to her first job with a boob in her mouth. What do you think?

1. I love this Kate but, alas, Ming was one of those babies who would NOT breasfeed and it drove us crazy. We were having to syringe custard into him – it was like baby-anorexis and so traumatic at the time. And embarrassing since my breasts were so massive but strangely empty. The good news is he survived!

2. I just re-read your post and want you to know that I adore you for writing this – fantastic!

3. Great read !
    Mines just as boring though. Everything went fine right from the start apart from the fact that my son only ever fed on one side !
    But this never gave either of us any problems. And we are still going strong to this day. He is now 20 months and I would like to go on breast feeding as long as he wants to. We did slow down to once a day about four months ago because i was tired and i think i wasnt producing much milk. he was fine with this. went to bed without it and just had a small feed when he woke in the morning. all of a sudden we are back on full time breastfeeding ! well i just feed him whenever he asks for it. its his comfort (and mine) and we both really enjoy that time together. That pause when things are a bit hectic.
    I don’t think it’s a boring story, I think it’s beautiful and we are very lucky (and our children too)to be able to breast feed.
    Thankyou for sharing your experience.

• I also tend to slow down when I’m tired, like when I have my period or something, but then when my energy is back up, the feeding is on again. I’ve heard of many people successfully feeding from one side. Actually, my girls are far more comfortable on one side and I actually have to make a bit of an effort and remind myself to feed from the opposite side sometimes.

4. Thanks for this post! It’s great to hear normal breastfeeding stories too – so mums to be aren’t scared off thinking the only way to feed is through blood, sweat and tears but if you’re not a martyr and push through then you’re a failure. My first 2 were fairly dramatic stories but number 3 has just happened and it’s great!

• That’s exactly it… it’s not always blood, sweat and tears for everyone. Glad to hear it was smooth the third time around πŸ™‚

5. I can totally relate to this post! I’m going on 8 consecutive years of breastfeeding in July! Hard to believe…We’ve never had too many issues with breastfeeding and I feel very lucky for that. I only tandem-nursed for about 2 months or so – the aversion was very strong in me and my daughter was starting to go long stretches without, so in the end I pretty much cut her off. She was 3 years and almost 3 months old. My son will be 5 this summer and still LOVES his “muk” – I’m still not sure how long we’ll continue!

I like the point that we need to share more “boring” breastfeeding stories so people can hear them. And I also totally agree with the taking it one day at a time thing!

Thanks for writing, I’m going to share on my page.

6. I love your story! Ordinary is wonderful.

I weaned my daughter 4 months ago a week before she was two. After 3 months of not feeding her she is breastfeeding again. I thought she would forget how. And my milk never went away.

7. My so. Was just not a boob baby, he wanted nothing much to do with them, but my milk stuck around for almost three years lol. My bfing story is not your everyday story, but it like the ‘boring’ ones. Wish mine was lol

8. love your blog Kate! Tika nursed 4 years and on her fourth birthday, while on my first TTC course in LA, Billy took her to meet Minnie Mouse in Disneyland she stopped, naturally and without any drama or pain! (except for my grieving a little) then I never got pregnant again so that was that. those were 4 of the happiest years of my life! That immune building and bonding and easy and healthy and natural consoling mechanism and nutrition and convenient food were awesome to be able to take advantage of, I’m grateful and I think Tika has benefited…though who knows the “oral obsessions” or ??? that may have not been “perfect” ah who knows who cares .
    no story is boring to the person living it i suppose.
    it’s awe some!
    JGD

9. Love it. That’s what I try telling people. It’s a non-event. DD is nearly 5 and breastfeeding is no different than cuddles for us. It happens twice a day but he’s ok without it if i’m not there. I even went away for 3 days last weekend and he stayed with his grandparents. He didn’t ask for it once. Not on my return either. Only when it was bedtime. Neither of us us too attached to it these days. But I just haven’t found a good reason to wean him.

10. Aaaah, yes! So nice to hear your story. I found weaning an incredibly emotional process with my boys, so bittersweet. I still look back with such fondness on my time feeding, and feel so blessed to have been able to experience it.

11. 1460 days – when you say it like that it sounds like forever! I got to 3y5m with my last bub, my current nursling just turned 2 and is showing no signs of giving up any time soon.

12. I hope many more women have “boring” stories like this too πŸ˜‰

13. I see your getting some more comments here! Maybe because it’s world breastfeeding week??

So I figured out that I breastfed my kiddos for “approximately” 2943 days – 8 years and 3 weeks (and I added two days in for leap years). πŸ˜‰ Gerry appears to be “weaned” (he set a date of his 5th birthday and so far is sticking to it) so I guess I won’t get to 3000 days. I shared my story on I am Not the Babysitter’s page here: http://www.iamnotthebabysitter.com/child-led-weaning-susan/ and am planning to write some follow up thoughts since Gerry weaned for her…

Happy World Breastfeeding Week!

• Oh cool!!! Yeah, we’ll see how many days I get to πŸ˜‰ I feel like it’s not fair, tandem feeding doesn’t count as double the day! haha!

14. Hi Kate! I love your blog and find myself checking in on it often!
    My husband and I are Hoping to concieve baby number two soon, but I am still breastfeeding my 11 month old son. We do co sleep , and I feed him on demand throughout the night and still pretty much throughout the day although it has become less frequent . I am wondering if you have any advice on how to get pregnant while breastfeeding, as I am not planning on weaning any time soon but am wanting to have another baby! Thank you

• Hi Megan! Nice to hear from you πŸ™‚ I think there are people who know a lot more about that than I do… My period had come back by the time we were ready to conceive and it had become regular. For some women, night weaning, or even spacing the feeds out to 3 or 4 hours can make your period come back. But, I guess you can look for other ways of when you’re ovulating? There’s a tandem breastfeeding Facebook page, maybe if you get on there, some of those ladies can help you out. Another to consider is that if you do become pregnant, you may end up accidentally weaning your child.. every woman is different sometimes supply dries up, milk flavor changes and the baby rejects it, or you get extreme aversion or pain… It doesn’t always happen, but it often does! Hope that helps and anyway, have fun trying πŸ˜‰